Saturday, February 28, 2015

Spring = BBQ!

The weather here in Oregon has been so mild of late.  I joke with my east coast friends that we've had a week and a half of winter, and spring is here now.  Hard to argue that with temps in the mid 60's and the sun shining down.  I was tempted to put out my hammock, but there's still a little breeze that keeps it chillier than the actual temperature, and you better be in the sun to be warm.
Because it's been so nice I got excited to get the Traeger grill out.  We bought our Traeger towards the end of last summer and used the heck out of it.  I was so excited about it because it was easy to start and everything I put on it tasted good.  Even meat!  I don't like to cook meat without a meat thermometer because I always ruin it.  So this hot, black, smoking box was just magical for me because everything comes out tasting good.  I'm more than ready to get it fired up again and that's what we did last night.  If you haven't had a Traegered corned beef, well then you are in for a real treat, and that's where I started this year.  I can't even describe how a Traegered corned beef tastes different that normal corned beef, it just does.  The more fat on your beef the better too.  I once bought a slab that was light on fat and it did not taste as good.

Other than the Traegered beef, I have struggled with my food intake, nothing sounds good.  When I go to the store I end up wandering around looking for something that sounds good.  Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going to use the day to find a couple of recipes to try. Hopefully reviewing the blog with remind me of things I was excited to eat.
I had a few major slip ups to eating gluten free.  We went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and I thought I could get just plain wings, with the sauce on the side.  Unfortunately, I ordered the boneless wings and they came with a very chunky breaded coating, with the sauce on them.  I was so disappointed.  I ate them anyway and they were terribly disgusting.  Next time I'll go with the naked burger.
Last night we were short on time due to OSU evening games and my husband brought home a ready to cook meatloaf.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'm sure it was a gluten bomb.  It just makes me realize how much more attention I need to give to controlling all our meals.  We need meals that are quick to make when time is limited.  Again, planning will probably be key there.

On the plus side, my refined eating habits are making a dent in my health.  I am down 10 pounds, have more energy in general and most importantly, I am see results in the gym.   My endurance has improved, my strength has improved noticeably and I don't have the joint aches like I used to.  If I hurt now, it's from working out, in a good way.  

No comments: