Monday, February 9, 2015

How Much Protein is Enough?


That's the question I'm struggling with now.  So far I have been able to eat enough food, but I lack energy in the afternoon, which is possibly from not eating enough protein.  The effect is magnified even more after a 10 am WOD.  
I am not a big meat eater. 3-4 oz at every meal is enough for me, mentally.  But perhaps it's not giving me energy long enough to make it to the next meal. In the past I have used more plant based protein. My CrossFit coach suggested eating more meat based protein by eating some with my snacks.  I am having a hard time with this.  I don't want to see meat more times during the day.  I suppose I can get used to it, if I try.  

Recent meals:
I used the pulled pork leftovers for several days.  It was easy to top with salsa and the other goodies I had on hand.  That will be a repeat meal, and it's pork based too, bonus.

Trader Joe's All Beef Hotdogs are delicious and easy to make.  I cook them, cut them up and top them with my probiotic sauerkraut, onions, drizzled with some homemade ketchup from "Well Fed 2".  Quick and easy.  This will be a good meal to take to home baseball games.


BLTA lettuce boats: Romaine lettuce leaf topped with bacon, tomato and avocado, then topped with another lettuce leaf to make a "sandwich.  Need to find a non-egg containing mayo.

Bone broth was a nice way to add a healthy snack.  Need to make more.

Ideas to Try:
Need to make a lentil soup and freeze some.

No comments: